His Excellency, Dr. Manassah Daniel Jatau was born on 29th December 1955 in Putoki, Balanga Local Government Area of Gombe State. He started his educational pursuit at Putoki Primary School from 1963 to 1964 and, later, Gelengu Senior Primary School from 1965 to 1969. He proceeded to Government Science Secondary School, Billiri from 1970-1974 and after to the North-East College of Arts and Science (NECAS), Maiduguri from 1974-1976 where he obtained West Africa School Certificate (WASC) and IJMB Certificate, respectively. He gained admission into the University of Maiduguri in 1976 and graduated with a Bachelor of Science (Degree) in Sociology in 1979. He returned to the university of Maiduguri in 1986 for his postgraduate studies, where he obtained an MSc. in Sociology with specialisation in the Sociology of Complex Organisations in 1988. His insatiable demand for knowledge again took him to the Bayero University Kano where he bagged a Ph.D. in the Sociology of Organisations in 1999. He also attended several capacity-building conferences, workshops, and seminars within and outside Nigeria.
After the mandatory one-year National Youth Service at the Nigerian Army’s Institute of Army Education in 1979/80, Dr. Manassah Daniel Jatau started work as an Assistant Superintendent of Customs with the Nigerian Customs Service in 1981. He served in various Area Commands in different capacities and performed several ad hoc duties while in active service. He rose through the ranks to become the Deputy Comptroller-General of Customs (DCG) in 2010. He was at different times Area Comptroller of Customs, Federal Capital Territory; Area Comptroller Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Area Command; Area Comptroller Kirikiri Lighter Terminal Area Command; Assistant Comptroller General of Customs, Human Resources and Development Department; and later Deputy Comptroller General of Customs in charge of Modernisation, Research and Economic Relations Department. He Voluntarily retired from the services of Nigerian Customs in January 2004.
An astute administrator and prolific academic, Dr. Jatau Manassah Daniel has published his research in several academic journals and in book forms. Some of his notable publications include: –
- Towards Enhanced Effectiveness in Organizations (2010)
- An Analysis of Factors Associated with the Extent Effectiveness in Organizations: A Case study of Nigerian Customs Service (1985-1995)
- Sociology of Medical Practice (1992)
His paper presentations at seminars, workshops and conferences include: –
- Combating Smuggling ‘The Nigerian Customs Service Experience’, delivered at The Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano in 2001.
- Arresting the Socio-Economic retrogression of the Waja people of Gombe State of Nigeria, presented at the Waja day celebration at the cultural centre, Garki, Abuja in 2003.
- Nigerian Boarder Security Management: The Perspective of the Nigeria Customs Service, presented to the participants of the 2nd course at the Nigeria Immigration Service Command and Staff College, Sokoto in 2004.
- Towards Greater Effectiveness in the Nigeria Customs Service, A critical Theorist Perspective, presented at the Comptroller General of Customs Annual Conference in Calabar in 2004.
Until his recent election to the office of the Deputy Governor, Gombe State, Dr Jatau was a Senior Lecture with Bingham University Karu, Nasarawa state. He is happily married and blessed with children. His hobbies include Reading; Tourism; and Orchard farming.