CITATION OF ALHAJI DR. IBRAHIM HASSAN DANKWAMBO, FCA,FCIB OON, (TALBAN GOMBE) THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF GOMBE STATE
Birth and Academic Qualifications
Alhaji Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo, FCA, FCIB, FCIT, FNIM, OON (Talban Gombe) was born on 4th April 1962 at Herwagana Ward in Gombe City, Gombe State. He attended Central Primary School Gombe and Government Secondary School Billiri in Gombe State. He proceeded to Ahmadu Bello University Zaria and Graduated with Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting second class (honours) upper Division, being the second best result obtained by any individual in the then Bauchi State. He further enrolled for Masters of Science Degree, in Economics from University of Lagos. Dankwambo was not satisfied with academic pursuit, he decided to study Post graduate Diploma in Computer Science at the Delta State University Abraka, Delta State. He finally cap it up with a Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Phd) from Igbenideon University, Okada. In 2012 he was conferred with the Honorary Doctorate Degree by the Imo State University.
2. Professional Qualifications
Professionally, Dankwambo has proved to be exceptionally intelligent. He has passed through the qualifying examinations of seven (7) professional bodies and consequently was awarded membership of those professional Institutions. For example, He passed the prescribed examinations of the prestigious Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in exceptionally earlier than record time, a year after his graduation from the University, a feat most professional Chartered Accountants will agree is rare to achieve and therefore became an associate of the Institute. Today he is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation, a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management, a Fellow of Nigerian Institute of Marketers and a Fellow of the Nigerian Economic Society.
3. Certificate Courses Attended
Alhaji Dankwambo has had various international exposures by attending training programmes which further molded and shaped him as a refined and seasoned Accountant, Economist and an Administrator. The training courses and Seminars attended includes:
HARVARD UNIVERSITY, Cambridge, Boston Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Global Financial System, Crises, Prospects and Solutions.
DUKE UNIVERSITY, DCID, Durham, NC 27708, U.S.A.
Budgeting and Financial Management in the Public Sector.
STANFORD UNIVERSITY, Stanford Business School,
518, Memorial Way, CA, USA – Financial Management Program.
CROWN AGENTS MANAGEMENT DEV. CENTRE, United Kingdom Financial Management and Development Projects.
UNIVERSITY OF CAPETOWN AND DUKE UNIVERSITY CENTRE FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT -Management of Foreign Aids.
WEST AFRICAN INSTITUTE OF FINANCIAL AND ECONOMIC MANAGEMENT,GHANA. -External Debt and Reserve Management.
Vii Others too numerous to mention
4. Working Experience
Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo started his Carreer at the Coopers and Lybrand International, (Chartered Accountants), now PriceWaterHouseCoopers from 1985 to 1988.
He later joined the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1988 until 1999, When the then Executive Governor of Gombe State, His Excellency Alhaji Abubakar Habu Hashidu spotted the unique qualities in this great man and appointed him to be the Accountant-General of Gombe State . He held this position until 20th April 2005 when the then Accountant General of the Federation Mr J.K Naiyeju was retiring. Again the unique qualities of Dankwambo became obvious to all having served at various committees at the Federation Account and his efficiency was noticed by His Excellency, President Olusegun Obasanjo who appointed him to be the Accountant General of the Federation to replace Mr Naiyeju. The position he held until he was overwhelmingly elected the Executive Governor of Gombe State.
During his working career, Dankwambo has chaired and served in committees as well as served as board member of some Government parastatals at various times.
He was the president/Chairman of the Forum of Accountants-General and Auditors-General in West Africa (FAAGWA), and had earlier, served as the Protem Secretary of the same organization,
He was the co-Chairman, Standardisation of Federal, State and Local Government Accounts in Nigeria, A body formed by the Federation Account Allocation Committee to harmonies the Accounting and Reporting of Financial Statements by the three tiers of Governments.
Since his assumption of Office as the Accountant General of the Federation he has been the Chairman of the Technical Sub-Committee of the Federation Account Allocation Committee, a committee saddled with the responsibility of determining how the national revenues are shared equitably amongst the three tiers of Governments, ie Federal States and Local Governments.
Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo was also the Chairman of the Audit Committee of ECOWAS. He also chaired the review of Financial Regulations and other Financial Laws in Gambe.
5. Board Membership
He was a Board member of the Central Bank of Nigeria
Board members of the Debt Management Office
Board member, Royal Swaziland Sugar Company, Southern Africa
Board member, Extractive Industries Transparency International
Board member, Access Bank PLC
Board member, Jewel Farms and Poultry Products
Board member, Sheraton Hotel and Towers
Board member, Federal Government Owned Companies under Ministry of Finance Incorporated (MOFI).
6. Summary of Some of the Achievements of Ibrahim Dankwambo while serving as the Accountant-General of the Federation
Dankwambo’s reign as the Accountant-General of the Federation brought about very laudable unique and revolutionary reforms to the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation which includes the following;
- He ensured the construction and completion of the Treasury House which was just awarded when he took over office. Today the Treasury House stands out in Abuja City as one of the most magnificent edifice to be reckoned with. All Accountants are proud to be identified with the Treasury House.
- He had brought up to date the Financial Statements of the Federal Government which were in arrears. They have all been prepared, audited and published.
- The revolution in the Public Sector towards a cashless economy began with Alhaji Dankwambo, bringing about the implementation of the E-payment system which is completely a new innovation in the financial services of the government. The use of cheques has now been eliminated in the government transactions at the Federal level. Contractors, Staff and Service providers now get their accounts credited automatically through the mechanism of E-payment.
- The Integrated Payroll Personnel Information System (IPPIS) is yet another giant strides achieved by Dankwambo. Salaries of Staff all over the Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDA’s)are now being paid centrally using an automated system. The immediate advantages that are obvious from this system are that Salaries are now being paid early and at the same time by the 25th of every month. This has eliminated the complaints of delayed payment of Salaries by MDA’s. Ghost workers syndrome has also been minimized.
- Dankwambo also ensured that he completed the institution of Treasury Single Account which is simply an account or set of linked accounts through which government transacts its financial operations in such a way that its financial position can be determined easily for the facilitation and timely reconciliation of cash balances.
- Alhaji Dankwambo in his quest to evolve a very robust Financial Management System of the Federal Government has worked tirelessly to install a financial Management system called the Government Integrated Financial Management System (GIFMIS). This is an ICT integrated system which computerises the Public Financial Management processes from budget preparation, execution, accounting and reporting. It is important to note that before Dankwambo left as the Accountant General of the Federation, the conceptualization of GIFMIS was completed.
- One of the Challenges Dankwambo met on assumption of Office as the Accountant General of the Federation was the centralization of Capital Accounts. This centralization had caused delays in implementing projects at the Federal Level. Dankwambo ensured that this centralization which was causing serious bottlenecks in the implementation of Government programmes was removed thereby enabling Ministries Departments and Agencies to process and make payments for contracts awarded after obtaining due certification for the projects.
- Other reforms embarked upon by Dankwambo, includes, the New Chart of Accounts, the Accounting Transactions Recording and Reporting System (ATRRS), which removes the stress of having to prepare and carry hard copies of Accounts by Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDA’s) to the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation for Consolidation. Accounts are now being submitted to the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation by MDA’s Electronically.
- TheInternational Public Sector Accounting Standards Board (IPSASB) gap analysis is one effort by the Alhaji Dankwambo to upgrade the preparation and reporting of Nigeria’s Financial Statements up to International Standards.
- He had also embarked on the upgrading of the Federal Treasury Academy to University Standard for the training of Public Sector Accountants and affiliating it to a highly recognized Public Sector professional body in the United Kingdom, (the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) United Kingdom).
- On assumption of Office, one of the responsibilities he was saddled with was the payment of Severance benefits to staffs of some erstwhile Government Parastatals and companies that were either privatized or were in the process of being privatized. Some of which Includes Nigeria Airways, Nigerian Telecommunications Company (NITEL), Nigeria Ports Authority etc. The Office under his leadership also undertook successfully the payment of Severance Benefits to all right sized Staff of Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies as well as payment of Pensions nationwide.
- In order to solve the accommodation problem of the Federal Pay Offices, he embarked on the building of twelve Federal Pay Offices in Twelve State Capitals in Nigeria. Two of the Pay Offices namely, Gombe and Ilorin were completed and commissioned before he left Office as the Accountant-General of the Federation.
xiii. Dankwambo has started the transformation agenda in Gombe State on assumption of Office as the Executive Governor of the State. As a technocrat and administrator with the knowledge of the importance of planning, he appointed eleven committees to carry out baseline assessment in the critical sectors of the economy of Gombe State and suggest the sustainable ways forward into the far future of Gombe State. The Committees have since completed their work and have submitted their reports, which are already being implemented. This singular action has been highly commended by the people of Gombe state and political observers outside the state.
HIS ACHIEVEMENTS AS GOVERNOR
Gombe State being known as an agrarian state has been transformed within the past four (4) years through the procurement of 225 tractor units, markets were constructed to encourage cotton farm; restrained poultry farm among others.
- In education, he has delivered as promised by renovating/construction of over 502 classrooms, recruitment of over 1,000 Degree/NCE graduates apart from training of over 5,000 teachers.
- Established School of Basic and Remedial studies Kumo,
- Established College of Education Billiri,
- Established State Polytechnic Bajoga,
- Established College of Legal and Islamic Studies Nafada.
- Sponsored of 25 Students in Maritime Studies in India & United kingdom.
- Health Sector
In Healthcare delivery, His Excellency has upgraded Urban Maternity to Children & Women Hospital Idi.
- Construction of Dialysis Centre, in the Specialist Hospital Gombe.
- Construction of College of Nursing and Midwifery Dukku
- Construction of Snake-bite Centre Kaltungo.
- Supply and Installation of 4 Dialysis Machines and 2 Dialysis Chairs
- Housing Sector
- Under his administration, 150 units of 3 & 2 bedroom were constructed ready for
- Work on New International Conference Centre on Progress almost ready for completion.
- Construction of Ultra-modern Mega Motor Park
- Construction of Petroleum Tanker Parking Bay.
- Training of over 320 youths in six different trades in 4 skills acquisition centre.
- Training of 330 supervisors of citizenship and leadership Training Centre, Jos.
- Recruitment of 1500 youths as Traffic, Environmental and Security Marshals.
- Training of 1000 youths in welding, fabrication POP and Tiling.
- Training of 1200 youths who were known as Kalare under Talba Youths Reorientation and Rehabilitation.
- Empowerment of 1500 less poorest of the poor through conditional cash transfer (CCT)
- Disbursed loan obtained from BOI to 150 Co-operative Societies.
- Release of N500 million Trade Intervention Funds to traders in the State.
- Ministry of Sports & Culture
It is said that all work without, play make jack a dull boy, and as a result, His Excellency,
- Supported and sponsored our State team the Gombe United Club in all her local and international matches.
- Acquired indoor sports Hall from the National Sports Commission.
- Hosting and sponsorship of various sports activities.
- Provision Water Supply
Rehabilitation and Reticulation, pipelines & extension to Kwami, Gadam etc.
- Extension of water supply to Baure, Dangar etc.
- Construction of Earth dam at Boh, Shongom LGA.
Review of 162 laws have been removed apart from the codification of the existing ones.
- Renovation of Judiciary Headquarters,
- Construction and furnishing Law courts visa-vis Magistrates Upper and Area Courts
- Sponsorship of judges to National & International conferences.
- Ministry of Environment
- To mitigate the global warming, His Excellency curtail the erosion problem in Gombe State by construction of 13 major gully erosion of over 4km
- Establishment of 30 hectres of woodlots in 5 LGAs
- Establishment of roadside plantation in Gombe metropolis.
- Ministry of Information
- Renovation of Ministry’s Headquarters.
- Construction of NUJ Press Centre.
- Ministry of Animal Husbandry & Nomadic Affairs.
- This is a new Ministry created one year ago and the first to be created in the whole of the federation because of the Herdsmen and farmers. In this regard, Veterinary Clinic were constructed in Kumo, Boh, Kaltungo, Talasse, Deba, Malam sidi & Nafada.
- Mapping and monumentation of some stock Route.
- Annual vaccination of cattle, sheep, goats, and dogs.
- Min. of Rural Development
- Procurement of over 200 assorted Transformers.
- Provision of Information Technology. IT facilities.
- Civil Service Commission
Before taking over the mantle of leadership, there was stagnation of promotion in the civil service, low level of productivity, job vacancies. His Excellency therefore transformed the Civil Service by promoting over 2000 officers in the Senior and junior cadre.
- Recruitment of over 1000 graduates under Sure-P
- Implementation of N18,000 minimum wage.
- Establishment of Gombe State Employee management Information System (GEMIS) to
- provide authentic staff data in the State.
- Capacity building for all Civil Servants of both Senior and Junior Cadre.
- Payment of Salaries as and when due.
- Network of roads all over the State,
- Street lightening
- Beautification of the capital city
7. It is often said that some people are born great by reason of the families they are born into, while some achieve greatness through hard work. Alhaji Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo may have been born into a great family, the father being a rich man and held the title of Talban Gombe. He has nonetheless worked hard to achieve greatness independently, without depending on the achievement of his father.