ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELENCY, MUHAMMADU INUWA YAHAYA, GOVERNOR OF GOMBE STATE, ON THE OCCASION OF THE INAUGURATION OF THE COMMITTEE ON TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN GOMBE STATE, HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 24TH JULY, 2019, AT THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL CHAMBER, GOVERNMENT HOUSE, GOMBE
It is with immense gratitude to Allah (SWT) that I address you on this auspicious occasion of the Inauguration of the Committee on Tertiary Institutions in Gombe State.
2. As we are all aware, Gombe State has of recent witnessed a phenomenal and ambitious proliferation of Tertiary Institutions, which ordinarily could be viewed as positive development. However, to the critical mind, there appears more questions than answers associated with establishment of these Institutions in the areas of funding, provision of infrastructure equipment and facilities, meeting manpower requirements their relevance and sustainability plans among others.
3. The Right Honourable Speaker, Distinguished Dignitaries today’s occasion mark our Government’s genuine desire address this challenges and other concerns associated with creation of the Institutions. We strongly believe that establishing Institutions must be best relevance in tandem with immediate socio-economic needs and reality of the State. You would agree with me that our young State has numerous competing interest and demands considering its meager financial resources. This, without doubt, has direct implication for the overall drive of the State.
4. As a responsible Government we cannot claim ignorant of the need for taking bold step toward correcting the anomalies that are glaring in the distribution of development across the State in the best interest of our people.
5. Distinguished Dignitaries, we are aware of the genuine concern of our people this more so the reason behind the constitution of this powerful committee of eminent people in order to review the establishment of the Institutions and advise Government on the way forward. Let me reiterate that, we have no ill feelings about their establishment but as a Government of CHANGE we must be seen to address you the issues that could hamper speedy development and growth of our State.
6. For the avoidance of doubt, the Tertiary Institutions to be covered are:- (i) Gombe State College of Education Billiri, (ii) Gombe State Polytechnic Bajoga (iii) Gombe State College of Legal and Islamic Studies Nafada, (iv) Gombe State College of Nursing and Midwifery Dukku, (v) Gombe State University of Science and Technology Kumo.
7. The terms of Reference of the Committee are:-
i. To review the establishment of the Institutions from inceptions to date;
ii. Assess the potentials and relevance or otherwise of the Institutions to the educational and overall socio-economic development needs of Gombe State;
iii. Assess the viability and sustainability of the Institutions considering the financial resources and status of the State, especially in view of the heavy debt overhang (about N120bn), the Local Government autonomy as it may affect the place of Joint Account (JAC) in the management of funds and the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit’s (NFIU) regulations currently being enforced by the Federal Government;
iv. Prioritise the need of the State in term of basic vocational and tertiary education with a view to share the resources available;
v. Make such other recommendations as the Committee may deem fit under the circumstances; and
vi. Submit its report to the Government within Thirty days (30 days).
8. Members of the Committee are as follows:- (i) Prof. Buba Bajoga Chairman, Members are:- (ii) Sen. Saidu Umar Kumo, (iii) Sen. Haruna Garba (iv) Prof. Rufai Ahmed Alkali, (v) Prof. Sani Abba Aliyu mni (vi) Prof. Istifanu Williams, (vii) Prof. Nebath Tanglang (viii) Prof. Nana Tanko, (ix) Dr. Gidado Bello Kumo, (x) Dr. Japheth D. Konni and Barr. Robert Wabida Lenus as Member/Secretary.
9. Rt. Honourable Speaker, Distinguished Dignitaries and Gentlemen of the Press, you will agree with me that we have made the right choice considering the caliber and pedigree of the members of this Committee that are drawn from the academic, political and public sectors. I have no doubt that the Committee would carried out its assignment with due diligence in the best interest of our dear State.
10. I therefore urge you to live above sentiment and other petty considerations. You should bring your individual wealth of experience to bear in the discharge of this very important responsibility. You may conduct public hearing and/or seek memoranda from the public in order to assist in examining and addressing all concerns and feelings relating to the establishment of these Institutions in Gombe State.
11. On this note, I hereby CONGRATULATE you on your appointment and wish you Allah’s guidance and protection as you embarked on your assignment.
12. With these remarks, it is my singular honour and privilege to inaugurate the Committee on Tertiary Institutions in Gombe State, to the glory of Allah (SWT) and the benefit of the good people of Gombe State.
13. Thank you and may Allah (SWT) bless our noble efforts. Ameen.